Dr Bell would like you to be on a liquid diet 7-10 days before surgery. The office will let you know when you should start this diet. The purpose of this liquid diet is to deplete your glycogen stores, which in turn shrink the size of your liver and will make laporascopic surgery easier. If it is not on the list below, you cannot have it.
Consume these liquids in moderation, they contain larger amounts of sugar.
- Juice, Gatorade®, or Powerade® – limit to 2 cups or less each day. (Try to choose juices lower in sugar such as apple, orange, or grapefruit)
- Regular jello, popsicles, or no sugar added fudgsicles– 3 or less servings each day
- 1 cup of milk (skim, 1%, Lactaid®, or 2%) or 8 oz. Light Yogurt ( Dannon Light, Yoplait Light or Colombo Light) or ½ cup cottage cheese – 3 or less each day.
- Atkins Shakes or Carb Solutions Shakes. 1-2 a day (These can be found at Osco, Walgreens, and CVS). DO NOT BUY: Slim Fast, Ensure, Boost, etc.)
These liquids can be taken in any amount since they do not contain sugar.
- Sugar-free beverages such as Crystal Light, Wyler’s Light, Sugar-free Kool Aid or Sugar-free Tang, diet Snapple, diet sodas, Fruit2O®, Propel®, coffee or tea with sugar substitute, or water.
- Broth soups(all varieties)
- Sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free jello
Attention Diabetics! For those with diabetes we recommend consuming 15 grams of carbohydrates every 1-2 hours. Be sure to monitor your blood sugars and contact your doctor if necessary. If your blood sugar is >150mg, spread out these sugar sweetened liquids over a 3 hour period.
Liquids with 15 grams of carbohydrates:
- ¾ cup carbonated beverage with soda
- ½ cup orange, apple, or grapefruit juice
- 1 popsicle
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces light yogurt (Dannon Light, Yoplait Light or Colombo Light)
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup regular jello
- ½ cup Kool Aid
- 1 tbsp. honey or sugar (can be used to sweeten a beverage)